***REGISTRATION WILL OPEN AUGUST 1, 2021***
Please Email Us for Further Information
CLICK HERE to visit the WBC page on RegattaCentral then
click on “Memberships” to open a list of our current programs
The fall season at WBC is a chance for all students ages 13-18 whose schools do not offer a rowing team to train and race with other athletes from around the region. The 2021 season starts Tuesday, September 14th and continues ten weeks, ending Monday, November 15th. We have coaches for both experienced and novice rowers which allows everyone the chance to participate and race no matter their experience level.
If Spring is “track”, Fall crew is the “cross country” of rowing. The competition is just as intense, but with longer race distances the focus tends to the technique side of the sport. As a rower you will finish the fall with a fantastic aerobic base & will be ready to tackle the winter season head on. As a coxswain you will come out of the fall season with more knowledge of the rowing stroke, & a much better understanding of the intricacies of proper steering, both of which will make you more valuable to any boat in the spring.
For Fall 2021, high school rowers with NO EXPERIENCE are welcome! You will be taught all the basics of rowing and be competing by the end of the season against other new rowers in races around the region.
Rowers participating in this program will be expected to:
- Attend practices 5 days per week, with any absences excused in advance (and kept to a minimum). Practices will be Tuesday through Friday, 4:00-6:00p (drop off no earlier than 3:45p, pick up by 6:15p) and Saturday, 11:00a-1:00p (drop off no earlier than 10:45a, pick up by 1:15p).
- Be open to training & competing in either sweep or sculling boats.
- USRowing membership and Waiver are required.
- Commit to competing in five regattas:
King’s Head – Bridgeport, PA, Sunday, September 26, 2021 CANCELLED
- Head of the Christina– Wilmington, DE, Sunday, October 3, 2021
Navy Day Regatta– Philadelphia, PA, Saturday, October 16, 2021 CANCELLED
- *Head of the Charles – Boston, MA , Friday/Saturday/Sunday, October 22-24*
- Head of the Schuylkill– Philadelphia, PA, Saturday/Sunday, October 31, 2021
- Braxton Memorial Regatta– Mercer County Park, NJ/ November 14, 2021 (see scholarship details HERE)
- *Upon the recommendation of the head coach and approval of WBC, selected participants may have the opportunity to attend Head of the Charles in Boston, MA (October 22-24). Entry fees, travel and trailer expenses for this regatta will be paid by the participating rowers.
- Any additional regattas not listed will be at the rowers expense.
HEAD COACH for the 2021 Competitive Junior Fall Program is Joe Sullivan. Joining Coach Joe we are pleased to welcome back Steve Kowalik, Jane Detwiler & Samantha Garrity.
The fee for this program is $1,550* when paid by check & $1,585.17 when paid by credit card/PayPal (this fee includes the $60 yearly facilities fee for HRC – anyone who participated in a program in 2021 at the Hines Rowing Center will have already paid the Facilities Fee); the program fee includes regatta & trailering costs associated with the 5 main regattas. Head of the Charles in Boston is a trip that will include multiple nights at a hotel, travel & trailering fees and, therefore, will be assessed separately. Any athlete who has rowed out of HRC in 2021* has paid the $60 yearly fee & paid $1,500 by check.
*Programs that have paid the 2021 HRC Fee include- Archbishop Carroll Crew, Germantown Academy Rowing, Gwynedd Mercy Academy, Radnor Girls Crew, Lower Merion Rowing, Mount St Joseph Rowing, Academy of Notre Dame, Villa Maria, & all Whitemarsh Boat Club teams.
Practice is RAIN OR SHINE at the Hines Rowing Center. CLICK HERE for directions and information about parking. Space is very limited; carpools are highly encouraged!
For parents who choose to stay for practice we are asking you to move your vehicle to one of our satellite lots in order to leave room for club members & those juniors who drive themselves. While our enrollment has continued to grow, our parking lot, unfortunately, has remained the same size. We thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.
Questions or concerns? PLEASE don’t hesitate to contact our Program Coordinator, Marie Leonard-YouthrowingWBC@GMAIL.com